Eredun Lullaby
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rituals, summons and the like

2 posters

Go down

Rituals, summons and the like Empty Rituals, summons and the like

Post  Burgrave Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 pm

So I figured I may as well make a topic like this. Are there any particular ways you guys RP rituals, and what do you even use rituals for IC'ly? Summoning demons, asking for dark blessings? Good luck? Razz

This is something I feel Blizzard doesn't really delve into much so it would be good if we get some player lore going.

Burgrave
Adept

Back to top Go down

Rituals, summons and the like Empty Re: Rituals, summons and the like

Post  Annarima Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Blizzard doesn't.

In fact the whole concept of magic, and its many schools and types in specific, are very ill-defined.

Being a Satanist IRL, I have some inspiration I can use from actual rituals in my gameplay.

Without going too much into that, however, I think it can be safely stated that a ritual should be build around a goal.

Trying to empower yourself with fel magic?
Choose a location engulved in fel magic, and have others channel the power into you, while making use of such tools as magical circles, runes and Eredic.

Unlocking the powers of a powerful artefact?
Acquire the required tools (additional magical items, for example) up front and place everything accordingly. Possibly additional casters will be required as assistance or back-up.

Trying to invoke a spirit or demon?
Again, some requirements will be needed. For instance a sacrifice or a gift. Or perhaps the entity will demand a service be done - especially the case with voodoo magic.

As far I see it, there's really no limits. As it's vague in the lore we have a lot of freedom.
Seeing what NPCs do however, it's clear they often perform group rituals during which channeling of certain magical energy is required. Sometimes specific words are spoken too. Magical circles, wards, runes, items and or artefacts are common.

Annarima

Back to top Go down

Post  Burgrave Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 am

True. I wanted to avoid cliches, but now I think about it it may be quite fun to just go a bit overboard. *peers at some of the warlock tier sets*. I suspect if one invokes a fair amount of evil sounding stuff you cannot go wrong.

Burgrave
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post  Annarima Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I think it's good to know when to go overboard and when not. This is something you have to find out for yourself though.

It's all to easy to fall into the super-hero/villain trap, at which points RP can become ridiculous or simply boring for yourself. Overpowerment serves little to enhance your fun.

Sometimes a gentle touch suffices.

Also consider doing IC (mind)whispers directed at other members, for instance when invoking a demon or spirit. Perhaps the spirit channels its powers thorugh one of your fellow warlocks - even unexpectedly?

Also don't forget to use ingame spells or items to enhance the visualisation of your emotes.

There's so much to experiment with. The best thing I can suggest is to start with a simple ritual, write it out for yourself, then try to stick to it when you give it a try ingame, leaving some space for improvisation.
The next time you'll know what things you like and don't, and you can adjust.

In fact, I think this could serve as an excellent event! Very Happy

Annarima

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum